Monday, December 13, 2010

Moments in between the hustle and bustle

To quote Mason's Llamma Llamma Holiday Drama book "Come and listen, little Lllama. Have a cuddle with your Mamma. Sometimes we should take a rest and hold the ones we love the best. Wishing, waiting, wanting things, we forget what this time brings. Gifts are nice but there's another - the true gift is we have each other."

I know I am not alone when it comes to the holidays being a stressful, busy, and exhausting time of year. It seems like from the time Thanksgiving hits to New Years day we are going one hundred miles a day. I have to secretly admit, I kind of love it. 

I am fortunate that I get to throw a birthday party in the mix. It takes a nice support team to help get you through all of it. Thanks Husband, Sister-in-laws, and my mom for all your help.   Here are a couple photos from our camera before it died.            

I found this dalmation fabric for a table cloth, lets see if a halloween costume lies in the future. I will have to learn to sew.
                                                                                                

We had a lovely and simple Thanksgiving with my parents. We deeply missed Cade, Emily and the kids but I think Mason doesn't mind having my Mom and Dad's full attention.


My mom would hate this picture because it is showing the kitchen clutter of the day but that's Thanksgiving, sorry Mom. Anyways, my parents tried a new recipe this year, Sweet and Savory Stuffed Pumpkins. They heard the recipe on NPR. It is not low-fat but it was delicious.

The aroma in the house was intoxicating.

While up at my folks Matt talked me into cutting down a tree from their property. "Think of what a great memory for Mason." My husband is good, really good at convincing me.

He had scoped out a pretty good one, just a little Charlie Brown flare. Mason enjoyed the whole process; stomping around the snow packed woods, cutting it down, tying it to the car and the finished product. Notice I didn't say decorating it? Too much for our two year old maybe next year.

 I think the weight of the Star is a little much for our sweet tree.
This is the first Christmas tree we have had in this house.

A few decorations around the house. I made this Christmas card holder, simple but I love it. I get to enjoy all the cards all day.

Not too many wrapped presents as of now. And definitely not to be placed under the Christmas tree. They are fuel for tantrums so we are sending most of them up to my parents. Poor Mason doesn't quite get that waiting thing.


No stockings either because I know he would pull them down daily and those heavy metal stocking holders would equal a hospital visit. BUT those are little things that come with having a toddler and our house still feels and smells like Christmas. LOVE IT!
                                                                  

In all the craziness we have tried to take some time to just be together.

walks along clear creek

Icy rivers and leafless trees

running on the empty baseball fields

and quiet moments by the sound of the water.

Moments that refresh our souls and keep us living in God's graces. Thankfulness that our hearts are full with love for each other.

1 comment:

Lee said...

I LOVE YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE!!! I love even more that you guys went and cut it down yourself... how fun is that! Give that cute little two year old a big birthday kiss from us again! Decorations were adorable!

Glad you guys are enjoying the season! The last few photos are great! LOVE IT and LOVE YOU!

Kels