Monday, January 9, 2012

Resolutions...1-5

I usually think New Years resolutions are meaningless. Why do they have to start January 1st? If you don't like something you are doing than make a decision to change it. BUT here I am listing a few of mine for 2012.
Resolution #1
The obvious resolution to be continued and taken up a notch:

I know the typical resolution for people is to loose weight or be healthier. For some reason the pressure of January 1st to start a total body change doesn't usually work for my Psyche.

Please let me toot my own horn for a minute:)

I decided last May that I was going to complete a 6-week workout tape that had sat in a box since college and with that I would eat two colorful things everyday! Its was like regaining a long lost friend, endorphins. Love those endorphins. I have always been a big outdoors person but leisure walking wasn't cutting it so I started running more. I lost weight but my body hurt.

I started to hate running. My shins hurt, my feet hurt and along with that came the wonderful emotion called guilt. I was feeling guilty because it couldn't be a workout if I wasn't running. That's when I decided to run one or two days and to hike or take long strenuous walks using an iPhone app to interval train. I combined this with some lunges, dips, and calf raises while Mason played at the park. I than dropped running all together and I was getting better results. This also made me decide that I wasn't going to let myself feel guilty by people's comments about running being the only form of beneficial cardio. I am envious of people who love to run but I accept that I am not one of them.

Than something even more awesome happened...my brother in law Nick opened a gym. I go twice a week for 60 minutes of pure muscle workout! Sometimes its boxing and sometimes its more of a cross fit workout. I get to visit with one of my favorite people while he kicks my ASS and when I leave my body and mind feel their best. Plus its pretty cool to see someone at age 29 living their dream.

I am not skinny, not even close, but I have muscles and I feel AWESOME! I am not saying I don't miss the college days of being a slender size 8 but a fit size 12-14 is ok with me. I am a foodie, I literally love all kinds of food. I recently read a great quote though that I think if I could live by 6 days a week would help "Eat for the body you want, not the body you have!" Isn't it weird as we get older that vanity takes a back seat to health? I don't want to do all this to be a knockout, I want to do this so I can enjoy my family and all the fun activities we like to do.

In the mix of this of course is trying to have another baby. This was something I was hoping would have happened sooner than later but I am learning to trust his will and rely less on my plan. My husband helps me with this too and I have to say there is no other I would want to share this life with than him. I had a miscarriage back in November at 11 weeks pregnant. It hurt emotionally and physically and still does at times, especially when Mason asks me "when is your baby going to come out!" Miscarriage is a topic people don't like to talk about and they may be shocked I am writing about on my blog but it happens and everyone deals with it differently. I thank God for my supportive Husband, Mom, family and girlfriends, they all helped me back to the other side.


Resolution #2
To not say "I'm sorry" all the time.

I was in the grocery store and turned the aisle and almost bumped another shopper and of course said "Oh so sorry!" to which he said "Why are you sorry? You couldn't see me." And that got me thinking about all the trivial times I say "sorry" and more importantly that I always assume its my fault. I think this will be challenging for me.

Resolution #3
To create a family cookbook from both sides of our families.  Food and memories go hand-in-hand and I would love to pass this onto my kiddos.

Resolution #4
To enjoy a purely Colorado adventure summer! To see places in this great state we haven't seen.

Resolution #5
To give my time to charity at least twice a month.

So I guess we will see next year how I do...

3 comments:

Lee said...

Sooo, Can I get in on the same resolutions as you??? =) I especially love the "I'm sorry" one (which is way hard!!!) and the cookbook one... I have been wanting to do that FOREVER!!! So yes, I join you in your resolutions! =)
Like I said to you before... that sweet little pea is for sure being well taken care of in heaven by Grandma June and many others until we can meet him/her! I have always viewed you as a very stron woman Micah... and although I'm sure that is one of the hardest things to go through, I know you can/will/are getting through it! Please know you are ALWAYS in my prayers!
Here is to 2012!!!

Love you!

Kels

p.s. may I say too, that you are looking great these days!!!

Kate and David said...

I like your resolutions Micah! You have been in my prayers since we heard about your miscarriage. I know there are no words to comfort the hurt and there are many things in life we just can't understand and we question 'why'... but I also know God's plan is bigger than our own. Heaven must have been needing the sweetest little angel to watch over us all.

I don't know if you've read "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo but I loved this read.

The quote the little boy said from his unborn sister he met in heaven touched my heart....
“Yeah, she (their miscarried child) said she just can't wait for you and Daddy to get to heaven."...From that moment on, the wound from one of the most painful episodes in our lives, losing a child we had wanted very much, began to heal.”

Stay strong Micah...love you bunches!

Anne B said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I hope you are able to heal and that you will be blessed with another opportunity in 2012. I love your resolutions. They are very heartfelt and meaningful. Best wishes for 2012! I hope to see you soon.