Thursday, February 24, 2011

Germ warfare

I have had strep throat twice in the past month...more than I have had it in the past ten years. Annoyed is an understatement. Everyone told me that once Mason started school he/we would be sick and I guess its like having a new baby, everyone tells you get ready to have no sleep BUT until you are in the trenches do you realize what "they" mean.
My quick List of Complaints:
1. General Doctors are over booked and can not see sick patients on a whim, annoying!
2.  Being really sick with a sick kid is double annoying and one of those "pull yourself up by the boot straps kind of things."
3. When will I learn to listen to my body and stop going full force when I start to feel sick?
4. When my husband doesn't ever get sick and tells me "its all in your head, you just have to tell your white blood cells to fight and they will." Really? I love you but sometimes I don't like you.
5. When will I start to listen to my mother? She knows me so well and told me as soon as I started to sound like a smoker that I should get a strep culture. Momma really does know best.
6. Boogers and Diarrhea! Sorry to gross you out but days of this from your baby not only makes you sad for them but also equals lots of laundry and baths.

So this is how we spent our weekend! There are a few things odd about this picture. Mason is laying still. Mason's P-J's don't match, that means Matt dressed him.

The Blessings (you always have to count them):
1.A husband who leaves work early (he never does this) to take our sick child to the doctor and picks up dinner and flowers for his wife.
2. A cancellation at the doctor so I could get my throat culture and thus antibiotics.
3. Sleep.NyQuil.
4. The fact we live in a country that we can get medical help for a simple virus even if its not convenient.
5.Appreciation that most of the time we feel healthy. I know there are families and people dealing with chronic illness and they should be the ones venting not me. 


Mason is still feeling so-so and I guess we are adapting to the new "normal" of constant sniffles.

He doesn't seem to skip a beat for very long, kids are darn resilient.
And one more blessing, Grandma Bert's Christmas Cactus of 30 years bloomed again, you can call me Polly Positive if you want!

2 comments:

Ania said...

Hope the antibiotics work quick and you feel better soon!

Lee said...

Oh man... that's the worst, both sick at the same time =( I can relate to the husband bragging about his amazing immune system too, WHATEVER!!!
I hope you are both on the mend, we love you lots!!!
US