Tuesday, May 22, 2012

California trip Part 1: Mickey's house

My husband has been chastising me about updating the blog. Its all the bon bon eating and couch laying that has prevented me from doing so:-) Life has been busy and in my free moments recently I have fallen victim to the book series Fifty Shades of Grey...I will be in church for the next year repenting for reading those.
Our fun CA trip started at Mickey's house...aka the California Grand Hotel
I have been to Disneyland quite a few times in my life because my family lives in Southern CA but this was our first time staying at the park and I have to say with a little one it was quite a treat to be so close. The hotel is very nice with an abundance of kid activities and direct access to California adventure, Disney's sister park.

As soon as we checked in and did our routine bed jumping we headed to dinner.
A client of my parents had recommended the Napa Rose Restaurant at the hotel, we were a little skeptical of the white table cloths but than we were reminded "its Disneyland" we cater to kids. So my spoiled three year old dined on filet Mignon and mashed potatoes. And we dined on the best salad I have ever had...."Smiling Tiger Salad" - Tempura Fried Lobster, Spicy Beef, Asian Greens and Coconut-Lime Vinaigrette

With our stomachs and taste buds more than satisfied we headed into the park for some late night rides.

We walked onto every ride...Awesome!

we started with Pirates of the Caribbean, than the Haunted House, than decided we should get soaked on Splash Mountain!

We caught a glimpse of Mickey in a late night parade

and wrapped up the night with "Its a small world" which is really mild compared to the other rides we went on. The music put us in a trance and we staggered back to the hotel exhausted and excited for the upcoming day.

What else do you start your day with at Disneyland?


While we waited for my sweet family to arrive, Mason got in on some Pluto action.
As soon as my cousins Kelsie and Kate, their families/Husbands and my Aunt Kelly arrived we were ready to hit this Disney thing running. Mason and Karly are only 6 weeks apart and were instant buds. She is such a free spirit like Mason and their energy levels were well matched.

Mason after his first roller coaster, Big Thunder. He was more interested in the rides than the characters.


Cutie pie cousins
and baby cousin Abby June, this one is a Monkey. Started walking at 8 months and hasn't stopped but man is she cute....


So after 8 hours of rides and walking we stopped for some dinner and Mason finally gave out for a 10 minute power nap...Isn't his Papa nice to cover him with the napkin?
We finished out our fun Disney day with the World of Color water show....pretty spectacular. Brought a tear to my ear with all the music and animation...Love Disney.

and Disney Churros...it was my one request on our visit.

Favorite Rides (I couldn't ride a good majority of them):
Matt- California Screamin Rollercoaster
Micah - California Soarin
Mason - Splash Mountain
Grandma - Pirates of the Caribbean
Papa - California Soarin

We packed a lot in to our few days at the resort and this pregnant Mom definitely felt it at night but all in all being with family, the weather, the light crowds, and seeing such a fun place through your child's eyes made our visit one we will never forget.
The next morning Mason was seriously bummed we were leaving for the beach, so we tried to distract with a little pool time.


and of course souvenirs...this is Matt's impression of a "Disney Dad" loaded up with all the crap you buy your kids while there:-)

Mason talks about Disneyland everyday and some days all day...I have to ask him to find another topic because he is obsessed with the rides he went on and the ones he was still too short to go on. Maybe when baby Max is 3.5 we will return for round 2.

1 comment:

Lee said...

So awesome reading this post... Karly was so excited to see Mason in all these pictures again (she misses him terribly)
It was seriously one of the best trips we have EVER made to Disneyland! Can't wait to do it again with baby Max (you like how I am inviting myself already?!? =)
Can't wait for more...