Sunday, January 16, 2011

Christmas Part 1 - Ala Armstead

Like I said in my last post but didn't explain very well, I have A LOT of photos! So I am going to break the holiday pics into a couple posts...come on you know you want something to do at work other than work:)

My childhood home was all ready for Christmas!

The festivities began the 23rd when my parents stopped by our house in Golden to pick up some things on their way home...like our dogs...and my son. It was our plan to go up that night but not for them to steal my first born child by luring him into the Tahoe with Builder Bob DVD's playing in the back.
Of course Mason was like "Please mom can I go" except in two year old talk which is a demand "Mason go with Papa and Grandma!" So I said "sure" and threw some things in a bag and tried to cut the crazy over bearing mother strings. Don't get me wrong there are few people I trust with keeping Mason over night and they are two of them...and this wasn't even over night just a few hours until I would join them but this first child thing takes over all reason in my head. I hurried and packed and realized I still had a million things to do before leaving. I kept calling them and calling them. So then I am freaking out...finally my dad picks up" We wondered how many times you would keep calling?" You mean you were not answering on purpose? "Ya we thought it was funny!"
HILARIOUS! They know me all too well and remind me often they were first time parents once too!

Matt joined us on the morning of the 24th (darn work deadlines before the holiday). He had/has been working a lot of hours so it was nice to have sometime together. We set out on a hike trying to feel better about the massive calorie intake that would occur later that night. 
It has been a unseasonably warm fall/winter here which allowed us to hike on Christmas Eve day. My parents are at 9,000-ft so even more amazing that is was relatively warm.

We did a simple hike to the creek Cade and I grew up playing at. They whole time we were hiking it kept hitting me, I grew up here! How did I not think it was cool to grow up here? And how great is it that my kiddos get to experience this too!

After the hike my mom insisted we open a present. Mine happened to be a new NIKON 3100 SLR...she wanted me to get it charged so I could use it! I was blown away, I have wanted one for so long but just couldn't stomach the price...THANK YOU THANK YOU and now I have to learn to use it to its full capabilities so bear with me. I will be taking a class in the future...

So here is our Christmas Eve and Christmas morning in a photo montage
Oh Christmas Tree Oh Christmas Tree you are one huge tree!

My handsome husband who loves fire duty, mostly chopping the wood.

Yummy appetizers like baked brie with raspberry chutney

Lazy Chocolate Dog

Spoiled Yellow Dog

Unconditional love between grandparents and grandchild


A delicious dinner shared with family

Fun gifts from Cade, Emily, and the kids. Tears because we missed them so much.

Some crazy lady who loves avocados

The sweetest cheekie boy a mom could ever ask for

childhood ornaments

special blue bags from a husband to a wife for their anniversary of 38 years. They have two anniversary's because they were married twice. The first time just the two of them on skis in Colorado on Christmas Eve, the second in a church as their parents and wished for. 
A giving two year old who liked handing out the presents more than opening them

My beautiful mother as a grandmother, my cup runeth over. 
One of the best men I know, my daddy, who is Mason's favorite, a jokester and huge fan of Clive Cluster books


Chocolate Santa's at 9:00 at night equal a dramatic meltdown in the near future.

Santa's helpers trying to assemble the "Big" gift and cursing at the person who bought such gift (me). 

BUT

the next morning he woke in a flash to see what Santa had brought him and he couldn't believe his eyes 

A real fire truck that drives! With sirens and horns, reverse and forward. Pure elation.

See I told you it would be worth it!

And what else....
A new Trash Truck fully equipped...Oh me oh my we will need a new house to store all these things

And we were only half way done, more fun to be had more family to see, gear up boys.

I suggest a shot of espresso or maybe three?
Mount Evans Boulevard at Spring Drive, my home.



No comments: