Monday, January 24, 2011

A love that will stand the test of time

The second child and only daughter of a Baptist Minister. Her Mother played the role of minister's wife and college professor at a women's college. This Denver born and raised girl, beautiful and talkative, caught the eye of a handsome man eight years her senior.

Just back from the second world war this second child and only son of a Denver pharmacist and god loving mother, attended church at his childhood church, Berkley Baptist. Sitting in the back he watched her, later calling her home and asking permission to "court" the minister's only daughter. The response from the minister "Well yes Roberta you can go on a date with Larry, for god sake he has been staring holes through you at church while I give my sermons, didn't you notice?"

And so it began, they courted for a summer and a fall and were married December 29, 1950 at her father's church. Her father insisted Christmas time was a great time for a wedding because the church would be beautifully decorated with white Christmas Lillie's and poinsettias. And like most father's, the best is the only way when it comes to daughters. One member of the church would replace all the colored Christmas lights with white bulbs while another would make their simple but beautiful wedding cake. Her mother would make her gown and with over 200 people in attendance these two would vow to always love each other...AND THEY HAVE.

From newlyweds making no more than $100.00/week

To first time parents

To parents of three. Two boys and one girl. Life would be busy and full of love and everyday trials. They would buy a home in Arvada when their youngest was just 7, this is the same home they still live in.
They would raise their American family there.

And one day they would all be grown.

Then they would welcome two grandsons
and a precious granddaughter 

and when he would retire from a wonderful career they would travel the world. Taking over 50 cruises.


and he would ski a lot! teaching his grand kids too.


Years later they would become great-grandparents
and they would temporarily have to say goodbye to a daughter they love so much, something no parent should have to go through.
but with faith and love for God and each other they find the strength to continue.

We celebrated Grandma and Grandpa's 60th Wedding Anniversary at Strings Restaurant in Denver on January 8th.

I can't remember when you weren't there
When I didn't care for anyone but you
I swear we've been through everything there is
Can't imagine anything we've missed
Can't imagine anything the two of us can't do

Through the years, through all the good and bad
I knew how much we had, I've always been so glad
To be with you ... Through the years
It's better every day, you've kissed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you
Through the years
Through the years, when everything went wrong
Together we were strong, I know that I belong
Right here with you ... Through the years
I never had a doubt, we'd always work things out
I've learned what love's about, by loving you
Through the years
Through the years, you've never let me down
You've turned my life around, the sweetest days I've found
I've found with you ... Through the years

It's better every day, you've kissed my tears away
As long as it's okay, I'll stay with you
Through the years!

In a world where marriage often ends in divorce it is refreshing to see a couple that's love will stand the test of time. Congratulations on 60 years, our love is deep and strong for the pair of you.

No comments: