Monday, December 1, 2008

Drumroll.....meet Mr. Mason, my chunky monkey

Seconds old, sorry if this is to graphic for anyone. Our lil' guy was born on Friday November 28 at 12:52 PM. He was 9lbs 7.5 oz and 22-inches long, can you imagine if he would have gone another 2 weeks? Micah labored for 36 hours before the doctors decided a C-section was the only way this little guy was coming out. My water broke at 2 am Thanksgiving morning. We headed straight to the hospital per doctor's orders. I made it 15 hours before deciding an epidural was NEEDED!!!! God bless science. Those things are amazing. It actually allowed me to get some rest. There are two reasons they decided to do a C-section. 1.) He is HUGE 2.) I stayed at 9 cm for 5 hours, because he is HUGE.
My brother and his wife drove from Grand Junction to be there, luckily they brought Thanksgiving for my mom and Matt. Those two were troopers, trying to sleep in a hospital with a laboring woman is not an easy task, especially for that long:)
Matt and my mom were able to come into the OR. It was such a blessing because Matt held my hand during the delivery but I wanted him to be with Mason as soon as he was born and than my mom slid in and held my hand. I could hear the doctors saying this baby is huge and long, we just keep pulling baby out.


Dad cutting the cord.


Look at those feet, you should see his hands.


getting weighed


First time Mom got to see him, Kai you are so right "Love at first sight."
Masons first few days were rough. His blood sugar was really low. This is because I labored for so long and was on constant IV fluids that have some sugar in them. All of these fluids (like anything) also go to the baby. As soon as he was born his supply suddenly stopped. He also had a really high red blood cell count. This is because of his size and the altitude we live at. So with both of these things against him they had to keep him in the NICU for a few nights. He had an IV placed in his head to get him fluids and a catheter placed in his umbilical cord that went up to his heart. That procedure allowed them to give him saline solution which diluted his red blood cells. It was so hard to see your baby go through this but I knew he would pull through in the end. I also have to be mushy for a minute but I have the most amazing husband in the world. He was so hands on from the second Mason entered this world. He was there for every procedure, every feeding, changed his diaper from the start, and took care of me.


We finally got Mason back in our room on Sunday evening BUT they said he was slightly jaundice due to the red blood cells so he had to sleep under the bili lights. Those are his cool shades he had to wear!


Finally they told us the best news, we could go home and we could take our son. Here he is on his first car ride. I think he was excited to leave also.

Actually the hospital staff at Lutheran was amazing. We had some very special nurses helping me and Mason.
Mason is a great eater. He took to the breast immediately and is an eating champion. Most babies loose weight before they leave the hospital. Not ours he gained a whole ounce! He is not fussy so far and Matt and I and our families feel so blessed to have him here. I really can not imagine my life without him. Matt and I are happier than we have ever been. Thanks to all our friends and family for your prayers and support. I will keep posting photos.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful baby! Hope to meet him in person soon. What kind of cuisine are you craving now and Chris and I will bring it over? perhaps Sunday?-Kathryn

The 4 Aguas! said...

YEAH! Congrats! I am so sorry that your labor was SO long--you are a trooper girl! He is BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to hold him. Try to get some rest:) and enjoy every moment--they grow so fast. Love you LOTS!
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Mason is gorgeous! We can't wait to meet him!!
Love Trisha and Ryan

Kate and David said...

What a cutie! I can't wait to pinch those cheeks and it looks like he is going to have some awesome cold ears to squeeze =)...So happy for you guys and thankful that Mason is happy and healthy! Love you Bunches!
Kate

Anonymous said...

Mason is adorable! I love the car seat picture. I can't wait to meet him! Congrats to you and Matt!
Love, Alicia

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH... THE CUTEST BABY!!!! I swear bigger babies are the cutest... Amy was over 9 lbs and came out looking just as cute as Mason! I hope Karly is a bigger baby :). MICAH... you are awesome... way to go! I cried reading the blog, can't wait to see him! Love you all lots and so happy everything is great now!!!

Love,
Kelsie

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You know how to cook em'up! :) I just want to squeeze those big cheeks.
Rest up and don't sit straight up in the middle of the night. I am sure you have figured that one out already!